Click here to access our Historic Plaque Walking Trail, complete with a map and additional information and photos about each plaque along the way. You’ll also find links to other resources.
Apalachicola Main Street’s historic plaque program makes interpretive plaques available to highlight our history, architecture, and culture. The vision of this program is to educate tourists and the general public about significant buildings, structures, and objects, as well as outstanding events and people involved in local, state, national, and/or international history. It will represent a partnership between the city, Apalachicola Area Historical Society; and Main Street, for which economic development through historic preservation is at the core its mission.
To be eligible, the location must be within the downtown district, defined as Battery Park to the Scipio Creek Boat Basin, and Water Street to Sixth Street. Buildings must be at least 50 years old. The plaques will show an historic photo of the property, when available.
Both the project and the design of the plaques were modeled after the well-known plaque program administered by the Preservation Society of Charleston, South Carolina, one of the nation’s preeminent destinations for cultural and heritage tourism, which since 1959 has erected over 100 historic markers.
A city ordinance was passed a few years ago which established eligibility requirements, and two prototypes were produced for the last remaining cotton warehouses which now house City Hall and the Center for History, Culture, and Art. City Commissioner Frank Cook was instrumental in the development of the program. The design was updated to include a more prominent appearance, and the plaques are constructed out of durable locally-sourced cypress by local resident Pete Olson.