We’re proud to be working to enhance downtown Apalachicola. Here are some of our programs and projects that we’re focusing on:
- Apalachicola Main Street brought fireworks back to the annual July 3rd “Independence Eve” Celebration which draws thousands of people downtown to Riverfront Park. It was named one of the Top 12 Fireworks Events in Florida!
- We started the Apalachicola Community Easter Egg Hunt in partnership with the Orman House State Park, Bring Me a Book Franklin, and Patrons of the Apalachicola Library Society. It is held on the grounds of the Chapman Botanical Garden and has become a cherished annual tradition for local families.
- Three city lots on Commerce Street were donated to the City for a park, with the caveat that the space be designed by Apalachicola Main Street. The Design Committee will work on this project this year, with input from the public.
- Focus groups of downtown business owners were the springboard for our video project, “There’s Still a Place.” This 60-second promotional video is available to any downtown business that would like to use it on their website.
- Our Design Committee launched an historic plaque program which makes interpretive plaques available to downtown building owners that highlight our history, culture, and architecture. This will augment Apalachicola’s appeal as a destination for heritage tourism.
- Our quarterly downtown cleanups bring volunteers together to make downtown cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing to locals and tourists.
- We assisted the City with a GIS mapping project to catalog all available properties in the district and their attributes for buyers, developers, or potential business owners.