Apalachicola’s Main Street program is all about economic vitality in the context of historic preservation. Here are a few of our achievements:
- Secretary of State's Florida Main Street Award for Historical Exhibit "Journey to Freedom: The Odyssey of Abolitionist Moses Roper"
- ShopApalachicola.com recognized with a Florida Main Street Honor Award for Outstanding Economic Vitality Initiative
- “There’s Still a Place” video project recognized with a Florida Main Street Merit Award for Outstanding Image Campaign or Promotional Materials
- Designated as the Florida Main Street Program of the Month for January 2020
- Independence Eve Celebration named one of the Top 12 Fireworks Events in Florida by Trips to Discover
- “Autos & Oysters” Car Show recognized with a Florida Main Street Merit Award for Outstanding Special Event
- Florida Main Street Merit Award for Outstanding Signage Project
- Florida Main Street Merit Award for Outstanding Public-Private Partnership
- Independence Eve Fireworks Show recognized with a Florida Main Street Honor Award for Outstanding Special Event
- Apalachicola Main Street’s Executive Director was honored with a 2015 Pinnacle Award which honors women in northwest Florida who have made outstanding contributions as leaders in business and in their communities
- Designated as the Florida Main Street Program of the Month in February 2013 for generating economic opportunities by promoting heritage tourism
A few of our other accomplishments:
- We grew the award-winning July 3rd Independence Eve Celebration into Apalachicola’s largest single-day event with a tremendous economic impact to businesses in the community.
- Our website promotes downtown Apalachicola as a year-round destination with event and business listings free of charge for all businesses in the Main Street district as well as historic information and points of interest.
- Funded and developed a professionally-produced commercial called “There’s Still a Place.” The 60-second video was requested by business owners to promote downtown Apalachicola as a destination, and its content was driven by their suggestions.
- Quarterly cleanups harness volunteer power to make downtown more aesthetically pleasing for locals and tourists, enhancing the business environment.
- Main Street has partnered with many other organizations to support special events that benefit the economy through volunteer support and promotional assistance.
- We worked with the City to implement the downtown Historic Markers on the Boardwalk. These interpretive signs that tell our history can be found at Riverfront Park and the 10 Foot Hole Marina.
- We designed and installed hand rails for the Market Street steps to assist shoppers, with input from business owners.
- We provided oversight and supervision to implement the City’s CDBG landscape grant.
- We install holiday lighting in the palms on Market Street to encourage holiday shopping.