A vacant two-story wooden building that stood on this corner was destroyed by the fire that swept through downtown Apalachicola in May 1900. John H. Cook rebuilt on the site two smaller, one-story wooden buildings that housed a pool hall and Cristo’s Restaurant.
In 1911 Mr. Cook had his contractor, George Marshall, move those existing wooden buildings further east on the property and construct the two-story brick building that stands here today. The building features a cast iron storefront with the “Cook” name cast into the thresholds. Downstairs it is divided into two separate stores facing Market Street with offices upstairs. Over the years different businesses have occupied the building including a furniture store, a dry goods store and the A & P grocery store. The northwestern side of the building became Tradewell’s 5 & 10. Later the Apalach 5 & 10 opened in the corner space. These two stores were referred to locally as the “Old Dime Store” and the “New Dime Store.” The first-floor stores retain their original pressed tin ceilings.
The photo above was taken in 1974 (State Archives of Florida). For more information about John H. Cook, see the plaque two doors down on Avenue D on the old Cook Insurance Building.
For more information on Apalachicola history, visit the Florida Archives, Apalachicola Area Historical Society, and the Apalachicola Margaret Key Library.
Special thanks to Frank Cook, Mark Curenton, David Adlerstein and August Klinke.
71 Market Street
Apalachicola, FL 32320 USA