Apalachicola’s Main Street program is all about economic vitality through historic preservation. We work to preserve and enhance the downtown district and to attract visitors and promote businesses. Main Street volunteers have contributed thousands of hours toward enhancing Apalachicola since the program’s inception in the fall of 2011. Here are a few of our achievements:
- Main Street has partnered with many other organizations to support special events that benefit the economy through volunteer support and promotional assistance.
- We worked with the City to implement the downtown Historic Markers on the Boardwalk Tour. These interpretive signs that tell our history can be found at Riverfront Park and the 10 Foot Hole Marina.
- We received a Secretary of State’s Main Street Award for Outstanding Special Event for our Independence Eve Fireworks Celebration in 2015.
- We designed and installed hand rails for the Market Street steps to assist shoppers, with input from business owners.
- We partnered with the City to install landscaping at the entrance to the Chestnut Street Cemetery.
- We were designated as the Florida Main Street Program of the Month in February 2013 for generating economic opportunities by promoting heritage tourism.